The Caterer, Assistant Editor - Maternity Cover
The Caterer is looking for an assistant editor to head up its features and news content.
Since 1878, The Caterer has given leaders in the UK restaurant, hotel, foodservice and pub and bar sectors tools and networking opportunities that help develop their businesses and their careers.
As assistant, you will ensure that The Caterer delivers a mix of news, business advice, insight and events that operators value and will pay for because it gives them a business edge.
- To work with the editor to ensuring consistency of both output and communication to the team and market, with a focus on achieving our business goals.
- To lead the editorial output of The Caterer by ensuring we deliver a mix of valuable and exclusive content that attracts new readers and converts them into paying customers.
- To develop, write and edit outstanding news, features and insight. To commission and ensure high performance from freelance writers.
- To draw up the Breakfast Briefing weekly newsletter schedule and contribute to the production of the newsletter once a week.
- To edit supplements and lead on special projects as required.
- To develop and maintain a prominent profile with key operators, to promote our brands to them and to engage with key trade issues and trends.
- To develop excellent and well-motivated teams, identifying individuals’ strengths and weaknesses, developing plans for building on them, promoting overachievers and tackling poor performance.
- To support The Caterer’s events proposition through presenting, hosting, judging, developing new formats and helping deliver the audience.
- To support The Caterer’s commercial goals with an awareness of our prominent customers and their key campaigns and contributing ideas for meeting their objectives.
- To support the editor in delivering the Caterer’s audience growth strategy, with a mix of content that appeals to free, paid-for and logged-in readers.
- To ensure all material is published within the law, taking legal advice where necessary and keeping the editor aware of key issues.
- To be aware of market trends and competitor activity and to have plans for how to take advantage of opportunities and combat threats.
- To attend The Caterer’s events and act as an ambassador for the company.
- You have great planning and organisational skills, with experience of hitting daily production deadlines, planning effectively through weekly editorial meetings and managing multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- You have commercial acumen, with examples of using your market knowledge to identify opportunities that map into customer objectives.
- You know how to understand and represent readers, demonstrated by examples of effective communication and product innovation that meets their changing needs.
- You have good people skills, demonstrated by examples of developing your team and building contacts.
- You are an ideas person, with the drive to constantly produce innovative content and finding new ways to engage our target audience.
- You demand quality and never accept just good enough – whether it’s a news story or advertising campaign – with a track record of ensuring the team meets your high standards.
- Fully-trained (NCTJ or equivalent journalism qualification) with up-to date legal training.
- You will have excellent knowledge of and contacts within the UK hotel, restaurant, foodservice and pub and bar markets.
- You will have strong digital skills, including the use of CMS.
- You will have strong face-to-face skills and will be confident and skilled at public speaking and presenting.
Click 'APPLY NOW'.