i, Foreign Editor
i is looking for a Foreign Editor to join our growing newsroom.
The successful candidate will develop our world news coverage across i’s digital and print editions. A fascination for world news is a given, alongside an instinct for what interests British readers. Our foreign coverage ranges from in-depth analysis of complex moving stories to lighter human interest. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an ambitious team at a key moment in i’s growth.
At 10 years old, i is Britain's youngest national newspaper and website. We publish reporting, opinion and in-depth features for an intelligent audience. Growing in influence and profitable, in 2020 i was named Britain’s most trusted national news brand (PAMCo), Daily Newspaper of the Year (London Press Club) and News Website of the Year (Online Media Awards). i now has an opportunity to grow again with investment in our original journalism under new owners - so we are looking to recruit to our ambitious editorial team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Leading foreign coverage for i’s digital and print editions, including copy tasting, commissioning from staff and freelancers, editing copy and liaising with other editors in the newsroom.
- Working with freelancers and other desk editors on foreign news features, original stories and investigations, including for i’s flagship weekend edition.
- Presenting story ideas to editors at conference.
- Planning and anchoring major events such as elections, conflicts and international crises.
- Turning round rapidly developing stories, analysis or explainers for maximum impact with our online audience.
Skills and experience:
- Experience on the foreign desk of a national news publisher or foreign reporting experience, ideally with an overseas posting under their belt.
- A deep knowledge and understanding of major global news, with excellent judgement.
- An ability to write and edit news and features quickly and to deadline.
- Incisive analytical skills and the ability to offer readers pithy opinion and analysis that gets behind the headlines. Approach the news agenda in a creative and original manner.
- Understanding of the unique demands of digital and print publishing.
- The ability to communicate effectively with other colleagues in the newsroom including senior editors.
- The ability to react quickly and confidently to rapidly developing international events.
- A commitment to i's editorial standards of impartial and incisive coverage.
- Good knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice.
Closing Date: 24th February 2021