The Economist, Newsdesk/World in brief Editor
The Economist is looking for a newsdesk/world in brief editor to join its digital team in London.
The mission is to help ensure that The Economist's daily digital offering provides topical, habit-forming, high-quality analysis that suits a variety of different audiences, and in particular that our daily briefing services provide a responsive view of the day's essential global stories.
This is a hybrid role that encompasses our evolving daily briefing products and our news-publishing operations for our apps and website. It involves some shift and weekend working.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to write and edit crisply and cleanly; excellent news judgment and analytical rigour; experience of working in a news environment; and an understanding of global politics, business and finance.
Click APPLY NOW and send us your CV and complete the following task.
Submit three 150-word shots of analysis, one on business, one on politics and one on any subject of your choosing, each of which would be suitable to run in our Espresso daily briefing service on a day in November.
The deadline is October 31st 2021.
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
Areas of responsibility include:
- Planning, writing, editing and updating our World In Brief/Espresso content
- Ensuring timely and smooth publication of digital-only and early-digital stories
- Updating elements of our home pages, hubs and section pages
- Monitoring news services and alerting senior editors to breaking stories and our audience teams to opportunities to resurface our published content
- Pitching and writing occasional stories for digital-first formats like The Economist Explains
- Ensuring that our World in Brief service is timely, distinctive and a pleasure to read
- Ensuring that our digital publishing processes run faultlessly, throughout the week and around the clock
- Helping to ensure that the home pages of our digital products and channels like newsletters and social media reflect the news cycle
Key relationships include:
- Digital editor
- Senior digital editors
- Head of audience