Reuters, Politics And General News Correspondent, Southern Africa
2 days left
- Full Time
Reuters is looking for an insightful and driven correspondent to cover politics and general news in Southern Africa.
Based in Johannesburg and covering countries including South Africa, Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe, the post offers an enterprising reporter the opportunity to report on a wide range of topics, from power struggles and insurgencies, to cultural and scientific innovation, wildlife conservation, climate change and the COVID-19 pandemic. A willingness to travel at short notice is essential and can sometimes include hostile environments such as natural disasters and conflict zones.
As our Politics and General News Correspondent, you will:
- Bring ideas, energy and enthusiasm
- Cultivate high-level sources within political parties and governments, law enforcement, advocacy groups and academia, to break exclusive news, provide insightful analysis and produce deeply reported, revelatory features
- Be fast and ensure Reuters clients get the news first
- Work closely with visuals colleagues to deliver stories in all formats
- Collaborate with colleagues across the region and globally on a wide range of stories
To be our Politics and General News Correspondent, you will likely:
- Be a self-starter and excellent team player
- Have a deep knowledge of or interest in Southern Africa, including an understanding of the key issues and players, and the ability to explain them to a global audience
- Be comfortable covering breaking news at speed, even as you focus on delivering scoops and high-impact features
- Have an intuitive ability to cut through the noise and focus on the key issues in a large and dynamic region
- Have a knack for multimedia storytelling and a willingness to produce visuals to accompany your stories when needed
- Be able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Be fluent in English with strong writing skills; Fluency in a Southern African language would be a plus as would Portuguese
- Have at least three years of journalism experience
Please note, the deadline for application is Sunday 3rd July 2022.
What’s in it For You
At Reuters our people are our greatest assets. Here are some of the benefits we offer for your personal and professional growth:
Global Career: As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
Learning & Development: On the job learning and coaching with an intensive training package. We also have a dedicated training team focused on the continuous development of our journalists
Benefits: We offer competitive salary packages and market leading benefits including paid volunteering days and a wellbeing scheme including private healthcare and Multisport card
Perks: Work alongside Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists and a team who provide unmatched, award-winning coverage of the world’s most important stories.
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world's media organizations, industry events and directly to consumers. Reuters: The Real World in Real Time
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.