Reuters, Banking Correspondent, Switzerland
Banking Correspondent, Switzerland (f/m/d) (based in Zurich.)
We are looking for an experienced journalist with strong news judgment and a knack for developing sources to join our financials team. In this position you will generate agenda-setting coverage of Swiss banks like Credit Suisse and UBS and the world’s largest private wealth centre, writing exclusives and deeper insights on an industry closely watched by our readers.
You will also have the opportunity to work independently on story ideas around the Swiss financial sector and its movers and shakers, from the boom in crypto to the latest ESG trends, in cooperation with an experienced, open-minded and international team in Zurich as well as the wider Reuters European and global finance team. You will also support the M&A coverage.
Key responsibilities of the role:
- Building strong sources to help break news and generate exclusives
- Providing a steady stream of initiative stories that showcase your expertise
- Working closely with the wider Reuters financial team on sector and M&A stories
- Ensuring high-quality copy for our global media and financial customers
- Working with visual colleagues to help provide a multimedia file where possible
- At times covering major breaking news outside the main beat and shouldering some bureau-specific tasks
- The ideal candidate will have the following skills knowledge and experience:
- A passion for breaking news and developing sources
- Excellent news judgment required, with focus on big stories and wider context
- Experience in reporting about the financial and/or banking sector
- A knack for working as part of a team across borders, language and media
- Ability to work under pressure at a news wire, where speed, accuracy and balance are essential
- Excellent written English and fluent German
- Working knowledge of French and/or Italian would be useful
What we offer:
- An exciting work environment driven by the news in one of the most watched sectors
- A close-knit team that collaborates globally with Reuters journalists around the world
- As a global company, we can offer a truly international career and progression opportunities
- Regular training offers on news subjects, technology and mental health issues
- Two mental health days per year
- Hybrid working options
The successful candidate will report to the bureau chief, Switzerland and Austria
Reuters is the world’s largest multimedia news provider. Founded in 1851, it is committed to the Trust Principles of independence, integrity and freedom from bias. With unmatched coverage in over 16 languages, and reaching billions of people worldwide every day, Reuters provides trusted intelligence that powers humans and machines to make smart decisions. It supplies business, financial, national and international news to professionals via desktop terminals, the world's media organizations, industry events and directly to consumers.
Reuters: The Real World in Real Time
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com
Do you want to be part of a team helping re-invent the way knowledge professionals work? How about a team that works every day to create a more transparent, just and inclusive future? At Thomson Reuters, we’ve been doing just that for almost 160 years. Our industry-leading products and services include highly specialized information-enabled software and tools for legal, tax, accounting and compliance professionals combined with the world’s most global news services – Reuters. We help these professionals do their jobs better, creating more time for them to focus on the things that matter most: advising, advocating, negotiating, governing and informing.
We are powered by the talents of 25,000 employees across more than 75 countries, where everyone has a chance to contribute and grow professionally in flexible work environments that celebrate diversity and inclusion. At a time when objectivity, accuracy, fairness and transparency are under attack, we consider it our duty to pursue them. Sound exciting? Join us and help shape the industries that move society forward.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under applicable law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
We also make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and for sincerely held religious beliefs in accordance with applicable law.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.