Dow Jones seeks a publishing editor for its real-time Newswires operation focused on business, finance, markets and economies across Europe, the Middle East and Africa.
Based in Barcelona, this editor will be a wordsmith who can digest copy quickly and thoroughly for style and substance. This role is responsible for ensuring our content, written in English, meets the highest standards for our financial professional audiences.
As a publishing editor, you will be handling short stories from writers covering the news as it happens. The working environment will be fast-paced, high-volume and multilingual, requiring seamless teamwork with colleagues locally, in our European head office in London and across our global hubs.
Successful candidates will have first-rate written and spoken English, the ability to balance accuracy and speed, and have proficiency in at least one other European language. Knowledge of corporate earnings, financial statements, economic indicators and/or financial markets is expected. An ability to quickly grasp software and technology is important, especially in the areas of news production and data handling.
A key part of the role includes communicating in real time with other editors, reporters and coverage chiefs across the region and more broadly. The ability to work varying shifts is also required.
This is an exciting role and an opportunity to join a fast-paced, vibrant and adaptable team publishing articles for the world's premier business news outlet.
- Exercise exceptional news judgment in editing and fast-paced publishing of breaking news headlines and stories.
- Quickly and sharply edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Uphold Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Recognize the core audiences for WSJ and Dow Jones Newswires, and their needs and expectations. Help connect the content with the audience.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors from other groups.
- Develop full command of newsroom editorial tools, metadata and internal coding for Newswires.
- A well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Deep financial knowledge that enables you to quickly assess and prioritize headline writing and editing of breaking news coming in through multiple channels.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- The ability to use various publishing systems and platforms
- Proficiency in using technology to enhance speed and efficiency of monitoring news, checking facts, handling urgent stories and communicating across teams.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- The ability to function well in a team environment.
- Interest in learning new skills.
To apply, please submit a resume, a cover letter explaining how your skills and experience align with the requirements of the role and samples of your work.
The Journal's reporters, editors, developers, and audio and visual journalists create important and impactful stories, firmly rooted in fact and adhering to the highest ethical standards. We report without fear or bias, and we maintain a proper sense of perspective, detachment and objectivity in our reporting.
Dow Jones , Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets .
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: News/Editorial Group
Req ID: 35166