Full Fact, Senior Political Journalist
- Full Fact
- London (Central), London (Greater) (GB)
- Salary of £36,700-£41,700, depending on experience
- Closing date
- 21 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Charity, Consumer Publication, Politics
- Digital Journalist
Full Fact, the UK’s independent fact checking organisation, is recruiting a Senior Political Journalist. This is an exciting opportunity to join our brand-new political fact checking team, at a crucial time for UK politics as we prepare for the next general election.
This is a unique chance to do ground-breaking work when it couldn’t matter more. You’ll research and write fact checks, explainers and features across a wide range of political and policy topics, and will learn how to identify and expose patterns in misinformation. You’ll develop new skills, have your work seen by millions and get to see the work you do have a measurable impact in making public debate more trustworthy.
If you are interested in applying but not sure you have all the skills, please do apply. We are open both to supporting learning on the job and to rearranging tasks within the team to suit the skillsets of the best applicant.
Your job is to keep politicians and other political actors in the UK honest. You’ll be responsible for spotting, exposing and tackling misleading claims, writing a number of fact checks each week, and will also be expected to write features and other content as required.
We’re ideally looking for candidates with significant political journalism experience, but will consider candidates from other backgrounds and prior fact checking experience isn’t necessary. Pre-existing knowledge of one or more policy areas would be an advantage.
You will need to be able to quickly master and explain tricky, nuanced topics in clear, concise and impartial copy - and must have an eye for a story.
Key Tasks and Outcomes:
- Regularly monitor media organisations, social media, public figures and politicians for political misinformation
- Pitch fact checks and features based on a good understanding of the political and policy landscape and Full Fact’s aims
- Produce accurate, engaging and publication-ready copy to tight deadlines
- Working with colleagues, hit weekly and monthly publication targets
- Develop contacts, subject knowledge and expertise across the political and policy landscape
- Work with other teams within Full Fact, such as policy and communications, to ensure we have a good overview of political misinformation
- Help Full Fact’s work on ‘fact checking for change’, ensuring that as well as publishing fact checks we identify and act upon solvable problems
- Help live fact check PMQs and other big political events
What We Are Looking For From You:
- Strong research and writing skills - we’re ideally looking for someone with significant political journalism experience
- Political impartiality and sensitivity (please see the rules on our website https://fullfact.org/about/jobs/)
- Good understanding of public debate in the UK and sensitivity to the political context Full Fact works in
- Demonstrable knowledge of UK politics and/or key policy topics, with experience working in political journalism preferred
- An ability to understand and master new topics rapidly
- Ability to build on pre-existing political and policy knowledge, for example by developing contacts
- Understanding of digital channels, audiences and formats
- An understanding of what it takes to meet the highest standards of accuracy and balance
- Communication skills, and a track record of communicating with a non-specialist audience in any format
- An understanding of Full Fact’s style and principles
- Ideally experience of identifying and correcting misleading claims in public debate
- Ideally experience using the Freedom of Information Act
While our core working hours are 9am to 5pm, we are considering having one member of the team start earlier on a rota basis in future, so if you were open to working occasional 7am to 3pm shifts that would also be desirable.
Full Fact is the UK’s independent factchecking charity.
We provide free tools, information and advice so that anyone
can check the claims we hear from politicians and the media.
We are a registered charity. We actively seek a diverse range of funding and are transparent about all our sources of income.
We don't take sides in any debate and don't support any political party or campaign. We've been quoted by politicians on all sides and corrected people on all sides. We have a cross-party Board of Trustees and safeguards in place at every level of our organisation to ensure our neutrality.
Factchecks alone are not enough to halt the spread of misinformation. We push for corrections where necessary, and work with government departments and research institutions to improve the quality and communication of information at source. We also provide a factchecking toolkit to give people the tools they need to make up their own minds.
2 Carlton Gardens
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert