POLITICO, Data and Elections Journalist (Brussels)
- POLITICO SPRL
- Closing date
- 24 Mar 2023
- Job Type
- Full Time
- Online, International, News, Politics
- Data Journalist, Digital Journalist, Reporter
Data and Elections Journalist
POLITICO is seeking a data journalist to focus on elections and EU politics as part of our growing newsroom.
This role will drive visual coverage of elections across Europe, including the European Parliament vote in 2024 and national trends mapped by POLITICO Poll of Polls.
It will tell data stories of keen interest to our audience of policy and political obsessives in Brussels, Westminster and beyond.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative journalist who can wrangle data into groundbreaking stories and interactive features and experiment with new technologies and trends.
It would suit a politics addict keen to tell distinctive, non-partisan stories on voter behavior and work within a team to grow the impact of our visual journalism online.
This is a full-time role based in our growing newsroom.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Pitch and research visual and data-driven stories
- Create graphics and visual formats, including maps, charts and interactives
- Monitor electoral trends to inform POLITICO Poll of Polls and wider coverage priorities
- Plan ahead to identify and deliver strong data and graphics opportunities
- Proactively suggest new ways to tell stories that build our impact online
- At least 3 years’ newsroom experience
- Proven ability to translate complex data sets into compelling stories and visualizations
- Solid understanding of how to manipulate datasets in Excel is essential
- Proficiency with visualization tools such as PowerPoint and Adobe Illustrator
- Coding ability in languages such as HTML, D3, CSS, Python, R etc preferred
- Experience with data research on the main EU and international databases (e.g. Eurostat, World Bank, World Health Organization).
- Keen interest in elections data and polling. Working knowledge of EU and/or national European politics and policy is a plus.
- Written and verbal fluency in English.
- An acute attention to detail and accuracy and the willingness to be a flexible team player.
POLITICO is a global news and information company at the intersection of politics and policy. It is the essential online, mobile and print destination for the most influential people in the world. With publications based in Washington, D.C., New York, London, and Brussels, POLITICO boasts an enormous roster of the most talented reporters and editors in the world.
It is POLITICO's policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin, gender, age or any other characteristic protected by local laws and regulations.
Application Instructions & Further Details
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a cover letter, CV and writing samples in English using the Apply button. Please note that we will only consider complete applications.
For questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
Employment level: Full-time
Type of role: Specialist
POLITICO is a global news and information company at the intersection of politics and policy.
With publications based in Washington, D.C., New York and Brussels - and continued expansion into various state capitals in the United States - POLITICO has one of the most robust and rapidly expanding roster of journalists covering politics and policy in the world.
Since its launch in 2007, POLITICO has delivered journalism about politics and policy making that is more authoritative in its sophistication and nonpartisan perspective than any competitor; that is more useful to people with a professional interest in public affairs; and that is more fun to read for a community of people who love the drama and sheer sport of politics.
The central mission of POLITICO, from birth to our current period of growth, has been to help sustain and vastly expand nonpartisan political and policy journalism.
We all believe informing readers and holding leaders accountable is and will forever be essential to smart governance, regardless of shifts in technology and consumption habits.
Rue de la Loi 62
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert