Reporter, Dow Jones - Barcelona
- Dow Jones
- Closing date
- 9 Jul 2023
Dow Jones has a team of smart and versatile Reporters who fuel its real-time news and analysis service for financial professionals.
Based in Barcelona, these reporters monitor press releases, websites and other sources of news and fire off headlines and short stories on key developments for publication in real time. They are proficient at identifying important, forward-looking detail from a fast-moving stream of information and turning it into informative, punchy headlines and short articles in English.
A major part of the role is to quickly analyse news and the signals it provides to investors. This takes the initial form of short, quick-fire analysis of market-moving corporate news, followed by slightly longer-form analysis that includes more detailed parsing of the event, and extends to more expansive and thematic items in due course.
Demonstrable knowledge of how data can be used to find insights and underlying trends and as a key newsroom tool will be a distinct advantage.
Accuracy, speed, excellent news judgement and diligent planning, together with a close eye for detail, are essential. Successful candidates must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, high-volume news environment where teamwork and strong communication skills will be hugely important, as is the ability to get under the hood of a beat.
Reporters need to have the flexibility to jump quickly between subjects and tasks while keeping a calm, clear head.
Excellent written English is essential. A strong grasp of at least one other European language is also desirable.
Ideally, candidates will have some knowledge of what to look for in corporate earnings statements and press releases, and some familiarity with economic data, financial markets and regulation, and a strong interest in these areas.
Reporters also do some media monitoring and need to be adept and flexible with technology.
This is an exciting opportunity to write market-leading breaking news and analysis for Dow Jones, the global authority in business journalism and publisher of The Wall Street Journal.
- Exercises exceptional news judgment to identify news of importance to professionals, with ability to efficiently prioritise and summarise into smart briefs and subsequent analysis of what the news means for investors, extracting from a wealth of available content
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Recognizes and responds to the core audiences for Dow Jones Newswires, and their needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Collaborates with reporters and editors from other groups, including Dow Jones Newswires, WSJ and other colleagues and those in other bureaus and regions.
- Communicates precisely, with compassion.
- Proactive rather than reactive.
- An understanding of the importance and utility of data as a key journalism tool is good to have.
- Possesses a well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Has intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn.
- Meets deadlines.
- Understands workflow.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- General awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Possesses intellectual curiosity.
- Functions well within a team.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Editorial/Journalism
Since 1882, Dow Jones has been finding new ways to bring information to the world's top business entities. Beginning as a niche news agency in an obscure Wall Street basement, Dow Jones has grown to be a worldwide news and information powerhouse, with prestigious brands including The Wall Street Journal, Dow Jones Newswires, Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch and Financial News.
This longevity and success is due to a relentless pursuit of accuracy, depth and innovation, enhanced by the wisdom of past experience and a solid grasp on the future ahead. More than its individual brands, Dow Jones is a modern gateway to intelligence, with innovative technology, advanced data feeds, integrated solutions, expert research, award-winning journalism and customizable apps and delivery systems to bring the information that matters most to customers, when and where they need it, every day.
If you are a current employee at Dow Jones, do not apply here. Please go to the Career section on your Workday homepage and view "Find Jobs - Dow Jones." Thank you.
Req ID: 37562
We break stories, influence ideas, and advance business intelligence and cultural interest.
We expose the events that turn markets, the digital breakthroughs that transform art, the demand that drives invention, as well as the political and societal passing moments and lasting consequences.
We are the people of Dow Jones. From different fields, backgrounds and viewpoints we invite you to join us.
Examine the world and bring it to others.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert