AFP is a leading global news agency providing fast, comprehensive and verified coverage of the events shaping our world and of the issues affecting our daily lives. Drawing from an unparalleled news gathering network across 151 countries, AFP also is a world leader in digital verification. With 2,400 staff representing 100 different nationalities, AFP covers the world in six languages, with a unique quality of multimedia storytelling spanning video, text, photos and graphics.
AFP, one of the world’s leading news agencies, is looking for a dynamic and highly motivated English-language text reporter to join its editorial team in Beijing.
You must be capable of producing fast, accurate and vivid copy in formats ranging from breaking news to reportages, features and in-depth angles, telling the story of China to a global audience.
You will cover a broad range of stories from general news to the tech industry and the business sector in general, as well as sports and lifestyle.
You will strive to ensure multimedia coordination for simultaneous delivery of video, text, photo, factcheck to clients and generally operate under AFP’s high standards of accuracy and fair reporting.
You will closely monitor social media and strictly adhere to the Agency’s guidelines on social media activity. As a general rule, you commit to respecting AFP’s ethics charter as well as all the editorial guidelines in force and in the Agency’s style guide.
You will contribute to the fight against misinformation by helping factcheckers in the network and ensure you are trained in the various methods of online verification, now indispensable for all journalism. Online training is available here.
In an ever-changing media environment, the nature of the job could evolve in line with coverage demands and the requirements of an increasingly diverse client base.
- Proven professional experience in written journalism, showing a flair for quick, accurate, lively copy
- Fizzing with original ideas for stories
- Native-level in English with a high level of working Chinese
- Comfortable using and monitoring social media
- Team player, able to work with colleagues in text, photo, video and our digital verification journalists
- Ready to work on flexible hours when needed, including weekends
- The following skills are not essential but would be an advantage: experience in wire agency reporting; video reporting/editing skills; French language
Please send your CV and Cover Letter by clicking on Apply online.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a writing test and interview.
AFP is committed to equal opportunities and greater diversity within its teams. We therefore encourage all applications in order to preserve the wealth of profiles, cultures and languages that constitute the strength of our network.