Senior Platform and Publishing Editor in London, United Kingdom
locations: London-1 London Bridge St
time type: Full time
job requisition id: Job_Req_38612
The Wall Street Journal is looking for a Senior Platform and Publishing Editor for its London news hub. The successful candidate will play a decisive role in a team that captures big breaking news and sharpens digital platforms for the rush of early-morning traffic from the U.S. East Coast.
The accomplished journalist will help craft the decision-making regarding the curation of the Journal’s mobile, desktop and social platforms to expand the reach and engagement of our coverage, balancing the needs of breaking news and enterprise with our audience in mind.
The successful candidate must be comfortable with making fast, independent decisions, while also supporting colleagues and collaborating with editors across the globe.
They will also edit and publish news and feature articles at speed and under pressure, with a focus on writing headlines that are engaging, snappy and SEO-friendly. Exceptional news judgment, first-rate multitasking skills and a solid grasp of SEO and data analytics are required.
Based in the News Building in London’s London Bridge Quarter, this is an excellent opportunity for a seasoned journalist to play a key role in the Journal’s global newsroom.
- Make critical decisions on the management of the homepage, app and social channels, in alignment with the Journal's high standards and objectives to expand reach and engagement.
- Help coordinate the editing of stories at pace with a keen eye for accuracy, clarity, fairness and presentation, as well as making sure headlines are impactful and SEO-friendly.
- Use news judgment to prioritize tasks and respond quickly to breaking news.
- Send push and email alerts, working with other members of the team to craft language to ensure maximum engagement.
- Use multiple content-management systems to a high level of expertise, and troubleshooting in a crisis.
- Analyze traffic data and incorporate it into coverage and presentation decisions.
- Communicate effectively with teams across the globe via Slack and email.
- Exceptional news judgment.
- A passion for helping shape the Journal’s digital offering in the early hours of the U.S. news day.
- Significant experience of editing quickly and sharply for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, clarity, structure, balance and fairness.
- A depth of knowledge to quickly assess and prioritize headline writing and editing of breaking news through multiple channels.
- The ability to help coordinate a tight-knit team and the ability to contribute ideas and offer help to other members.
- Expertise with a range of different publishing systems and platforms.
- A well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Clear and effective communication.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Flexibility in changing tasks and responding to evolving priorities.
- A desire to learn new skills.
- An understanding of Dow Jones standards and ethics, as well as the WSJ brand and content.
- Recognition of the core audiences and their needs and expectations.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put 'Reasonable Accommodation' in the subject line.
Business Area: NEWS/WSJ
Job Category: Editorial/Journalism
Union Status: Non-Union role
Reasonable accommodation: Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy - All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets. Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process. If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, email us at email@example.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line and provide a brief description of the type of assistance you need. This inbox will not be monitored for application status updates.