Dow Jones, Deputy EMEA Chief Editor (Barcelona)
- Exercises exceptional news judgment to quickly determine news significance and priorities
- Assigns and oversees reporters' and editors' work and helps them make progress.
- Demonstrates the ability to quickly and sharply edit for grammar, style, sense, jargon, accuracy, structure, balance and fairness.
- Draws on a depth of financial knowledge to quickly assess and prioritize headline writing and story fills, and to oversee the editing of breaking news coming in through multiple channels.
- Upholds Dow Jones standards and ethics.
- Understands WSJ's brand, content and various digital and print platforms.
- Recognizes the core audiences for WSJ and Dow Jones Newswires, and their needs and expectations.
- Helps connect the content with the audience.
- Assigns and oversees reporters' and editors' work. Manage workflow and participate in performance reviews.
- Takes pride in and ownership of his or her work and the work of the entire team.
- Leads by example and works well across teams.
- Assists in coaching individual reporters and editors, identifies training opportunities and participates in training presentations as needed.
- Makes coverage decisions and organizes colleagues to execute plans.
- Collaborates with reporters and editors from other groups.
- Aids in building collective skills across the reporting and editing teams.
- Communicates precisely, with compassion.
- Proactive rather than reactive.
Digital media skills:
- Expert at using different publishing systems and platforms.
- Full command of newsroom editorial tools, metadata and internal coding for Newswires.
- Proactive about proper coding and tagging for headlines and different types of content for different channels.
- Proficient in using technology to enhance speed and efficiency of monitoring news, checking facts, handling urgent stories and communicating across teams.
- Ability to think strategically
- Possesses a well-honed sense of urgency along with a capacity to remain calm under pressure.
- Prioritizes tasks and time while handling multiple responsibilities.
- Meets deadlines.
- Understands workflow beyond his or her own needs.
- Flexible in changing/handing off tasks.
- Good awareness of how a newsroom works.
- Functions well within a team.
- Wants to learn new skills.
- Participates in recruiting and evaluating candidates during the hiring process.
- Participates in decision-making regarding disciplinary action and compensation.
The position reports to the EMEA Chief Editor, Dow Jones Newswires.
Click 'Apply' now.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. EEO/AA/M/F/Disabled/Vets.
Dow Jones is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities, in our job application and/or interview process.
If you need assistance or accommodation in completing your application, due to a disability, please reach out to us at TalentResourceTeam@dowjones.com. Please put "Reasonable Accommodation" in the subject line.
Dow Jones is a global provider of news and business information, delivering content to consumers and organizations around the world across multiple formats, including print, digital, mobile and live events.
Dow Jones has produced unrivaled quality content for more than 125 years and today has one of the world's largest news gathering operations globally.
It produces leading publications and products including the flagship Wall Street Journal, America's largest newspaper by paid circulation; Factiva, Barron's, MarketWatch, Financial News, DJX, Dow Jones Risk & Compliance, Dow Jones Newswires, and Dow Jones VentureSource.
Dow Jones is a division of News Corp (NASDAQ: NWS, NWSA; ASX: NWS, NWSLV).