The Correspondent, Engagement Editor (Amsterdam)
De Correspondent is a journalism platform in the Netherlands, whose mission is to provide our members with an antidote to the daily news grind.
Our correspondents work with our knowledgeable members to create articles, podcasts, videos, infographics, and books about the most important topics of our time: climate change, mobility, and health, for example – but also progress, aging, and all the planet’s non-human life.
More than 62,000 Dutch-speaking members pay for our journalism, ensuring that we can remain independent and fully ad-free.
Now we’re on the cusp of our largest expansion since our foundation in 2013: the launch of The Correspondent, our English-language version.
After a global crowdfunding campaign last fall, a whopping 45,888 (and counting!) new members from over 130 countries joined our ranks to help make this growth possible. A world record!
The Correspondent will start publishing on 30 September, 2019.
We are looking for an Engagement Editor to help us involve as many people in our journalism as possible.
This job is full time (40 hours per week). You’ll be based in our headquarters in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Knowledge of Dutch is not required.
What you can expect:
Our engagement team’s mission is twofold. First, we want to involve as many people as possible in our journalism. Second, we want to maximize the impact our journalism has. There are many ways to do that, and that variety is what makes this work so interesting.
For example, we write compelling newsletters that share the major insights from our stories with our 150,000-plus newsletter subscribers.
We also create informative Twitter threads and Instagram stories that visualize our journalism and help it spread on social media. And we design campaigns centered on our journalism, including a media strategy when we have a special reveal or exciting scoop to share.
Next to this, we invite members to contribute their expert knowledge and experience to our journalism, and we make sure that our stories get distributed to their professional networks.
As Engagement Editor for The Correspondent, your responsibilities will include:
- Involving our members and followers in The Correspondent’s English-language journalism. You’ll help them gain insight into the major developments of our time – and what we can do to solve the world’s problems. This is how you’ll contribute to The Correspondent’s societal impact.
- Setting up, writing, and sending the primary daily newsletter that goes out to The Correspondent’s members. You’ll also help our English-language correspondents design and set up their personal newsletters, as well as create newsletters to draw in people who aren’t yet members.
- Managing The Correspondent’s English-language social media channels. You’ll write posts, keep up with what’s happening among our followers, and come up with new ways to present our journalism on social media.
- Conducting regular research into how we can attract new members through our stories and how we can best serve our current members.
- You’ll be part of the engagement team and also work extensively with our correspondents, editorial board, conversation editors, managing editor, development team, and membership director. Your fellow engagement team members will use their years of experience to support you in accomplishing your tasks. We’ll also give you plenty of room to do your job the way you think is best – and to try out new things.
What kind of person are you?:
- You have experience managing major social media channels, preferably for an organization that serves an international audience. Alternatively, you’ve grown up on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube and you know them like the back of your hand.
- You’re enthusiastic about innovation in journalism.
- You’re a go-getter: you don’t wait until people tell you what to do, but figure it out yourself and go to work.
- You work well under pressure – in fact, a hard deadline brings out the best in you.
- You’re flexible: sometimes you’ll have to work odd hours, and that’s fine with you.
- You have ideas on how to reach an audience outside our bubble.
- You promote inclusive language and have ideas on how we can do better there.
- You write well, in fluent English. Speaking Dutch is not necessary.
- You have an international perspective and a global network.
- You have experience with international campaigns.
- You’re good at writing active copy and know how to appeal to a diverse audience.
What we offer:
- First and foremost, you’ll be part of an organization that values ideas over job titles, collaboration over hierarchy, and quality over speed.
- You’ll have a lot of freedom in doing your work and lots of room to grow in your job and career.
- You’ll be part of a team of more than 70 colleagues who are hugely passionate about the future of collaborative, inclusive, and ad-free journalism – and who will help you write, fact-check, visualize, and present your stories in the best possible way.
- You’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with members from all over the world and build knowledge networks that will benefit our journalism in new and exciting ways.
- You’ll earn a competitive salary with benefits, including a pension plan, sick leave, paid vacation, social security, disability income protection, and lunch.
- You’ll be provided with the necessary tools to do your work well, like a company laptop.
- You’ll report directly to our team lead and you’ll work with our managing editor on a daily basis to discuss your ideas, determine deadlines, etc.
Vacancy closes: 13 June
We’re looking to fill this position on 1 July at the earliest, and 1 August the latest.
Click 'APPLY' now.