Research Professional News, UK Reporter
Research Professional News is looking for a talented reporter to join our UK news team, working across online daily news and our respected fortnightly digital magazine, Research Fortnight.
The successful candidate will produce stories ranging from the impact of Brexit on research to diversity in academia.
We're looking for someone who can continue our tradition of setting the news agenda for the UK's research and higher education sectors, producing stories that are must-reads for ministers and university leaders and are followed up by national news titles.
The role is based in London’s Shoreditch and is part of a 20-strong editorial team, with opportunities for travel in the UK and internationally.
The position would suit a reporter with 1-2 years’ experience on a respected B2B or local or national news publication. A demonstrable interest in politics, science or higher education would be a strong advantage.
- Write daily off-diary and on-diary online news stories for Research Professional News, and news and features for the fortnightly digital magazine Research Fortnight
- Cover beats as directed by the news editor, taking responsibility for ensuring that Research Professional News is on top of the news agenda in your areas and reports developments in a timely manner
- Ensure coverage of your beats includes all significant policy announcements and trends, and regular high-impact exclusives—some of which have the potential for exposure in national or international press
- Monitor rival news services in your beat areas. Respond proactively to any important stories we have missed by generating follow-on angles
- Develop and maintain a network of senior-level contacts across your beats
- Regularly pitch ideas for longer form analysis pieces, FOI, investigations and interviews. Research and write longer-form pieces as commissioned
- Contribute to other areas of Research Professional News’ coverage as directed, including other beat areas, data pieces, Research Europe, *HE and Funding Insight
- Deliver accurate, engaging copy, written to house style, to agreed deadlines and word counts
- Ensure stories are relevant to the readership, informative, and clearly understandable
- Learn from feedback given by news editors and editors, correcting any mistakes in future copy
- Contribute to the broader development of Research Professional News by working with editors to develop ideas for special coverage, and different ways of presenting and promoting information online, in print and on social media
- Represent the Research publications at conferences, networking and evening events, including through travel to Europe where required and authorised
- Support the wider team at particularly busy times, for example digital magazine press days
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ experience as a reporter on a specialist B2B, regional or national publication, although exceptional graduates will be considered
- Experience in breaking exclusive news stories
- Understanding of current libel law and approaches needed to mitigate risk
- A keen interest in research, policy and higher education—experience covering these fields will be an advantage
- High levels of literacy and numeracy and a flair for written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work successfully independently and as part of a team
To apply, please send a CV, covering letter and two examples of your reporting to the group editor, Sarah Richardson, by completing the application form below.